Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus

Although I did ride a school bus in my middle school years, I don't recall ever riding a city bus. A dear friend of mine, however, does not own a car (by choice!), so she takes the bus everywhere she goes that she doesn't ride her bike. She's lived from Florida to California, so she has experience with many public transportation systems. Though ours isn't the most impressive, she said she's seen an increase in the number of people using the bus of late. When she suggested the kids and I take a ride downtown with her to our public library, I said, "Sure!" In our town, children 18 and under ride the bus to the library for free, so this was a great, low-cost summer activity that took up most of the day. The kids thought it was deliciously fun, and I saved a few bucks in gas and parking fees--a win-win in my book!

3 comments:

Knit Wit said...

I've been thinking of doing this lately but the bus scares me.

Synia said...

I have a feeling that with gas prices only getting higher, there will be a lot more people riding the bus or bikes where ever it is possible. Why just the other day my husband was talking about buying a bike to ride to work.

Kelli said...

I'm not sure I would want to take all the girls by myself unless I was really familiar with the route. The stops can sneak up on you if you aren't paying close attention! And, we did encounter some interesting people like the guy (or was it a gal? hard to tell) sitting next to me who fell asleep and never woke up during our entire ride....how does s/he know when to wake up? Or was s/he passed out? Who knows!

If I could find a bike (and a place to store it!) that would accommodate me and the three younger girls, I'd be tempted to ride it! If they were a little older, I'd let them follow me on their own bikes to our neighborhood library and park!