Monday, June 16, 2008

Menu Plan Monday & Golden Potato Soup

It was another busy week and I missed my pizza pockets...AGAIN. HOWEVER, I did try something new (Easy From-Scratch Chicken Pot Pie) which I am making for a friend tonight, because it was so yummy. In fact, I used the crust from this pie to make a double-crust cherry pie yesterday for hubby (his absolute favorite!). I just dumped a can of cherry pie filling into the crust and that was that! I'll try it again with frozen or fresh cherries, but this worked in a pinch and we all enjoyed it. Here goes this week's menu (for more menus see orgjunkie.com):

Meatless Monday: Cheese quesadillas, pinto beans, and Mexican rice

Tried and True
Tuesday: Hamburgers, mashed potatoes (save one cup for tomorrow's soup!), carrot sticks

Work less on Wednesday: Golden Potato Soup (recipe below), salad, bread sticks

Thanksgiving
Thursday (named after traditional post-Thanksgiving menu planning): Leftovers

First time Friday: Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs, brown rice

Simple Saturday: Chicken and Rice, broccoli

Slow Cooker Sunday: TGIFriday's Black Bean Soup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golden Potato Soup

2 T oil
1/3 c chopped onion
1 T flour
1 t. salt
dash pepper
1 c water
1 c mashed potatoes (great use of leftovers; add as much as you like)
2 1/2 c milk
1/2 c grated cheese (or more, if you really like cheese)

Saute onion in oil until the onions begin to turn translucent then stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the water and bring to a boil. Boil for two minutes, stirring all the while, and add the mashed potatoes, milk, and cheese. Turn the heat down (no more boiling necessary) and simmer until the cheese melts. Garnish with additional cheese.

3 comments:

Clara said...

Yummy! I'll be trying both the pot pie and the golden potato soup!

Christian and Jennifer said...

I'm going to try several of these recipes, too! You've always been such a great cook with great, economical recipes and ideas. I'm so excited to see your menus on here!

Brenda said...

I love how you name the days of the week! Great menu.