Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Easy Homemade Frozen Pops


It's summer and it's not getting any cheaper to buy frozen pops! So, when I open a can of fruit, I drain the liquid into a mold (or even an ice cube tray or a cup with a wooden stick) to make homemade Popsicles. Sometimes I'll add a bit of the fruit, too. Even if the liquid isn't 100% juice, I suspect it's a healthier alternative to the artificially colored and flavored ones you find in the frozen treat section. This works great with yogurt and pudding, too!

For more ideas to make life easier, visit Works for Me Wednesday hosted at Rocks In My Dryer.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our kiddos made 100% grapefruit ones that ....mmmm...I wouldn't have thought of, but love them! They also like grape and orange juice ones. Cool! (yes, literally)

Mom's Marbles said...

Wow. And I thought I was frugal. I always just dumped the juice down the drain but this is a much better idea!

Kelli said...

JPL - I wouldn't have thought of grapefruit juice for the little ones...maybe we'll give that a try.

And, Mom, I used to dump the juice down the drain, too. All those years...what a waste!

sunnymum said...

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the idea. I have to find something to make popsicles in since it's supposed to get really hot the end of the week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link love the other day. For pops, I often buy those 10c kool-aid packets (I always by the invisible-no dye-kind). This way I can control the amount of sugar that goes in. I only put in 1/2 - 2/3 the amount stated on the package.

Tami@ourhouse said...

Loved the idea of making something (good, too!) out of nothing. Thanks!

Stacy said...

Great post =D

Jodi said...

great idea - any idea where to get good popsicle molds? so many just seem so cheap!

Kelli said...

I agree--the dollar store molds are especially not worth the money. My mom picked up a mold I LOVE from World Market. It only makes 4 at a time, but I have 4 kids, so it's perfect. I think it was $2.95. I'd like to get another one.

Hope this helps!

Ashley said...

Great idea! The pudding and yogurt variations sound great. I keep plenty of that on hand. I know I have some popsicle molds around here somewhere....