Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Easy Brownies

You know a recipe is well-loved when the recipe card (yes, I still use these!) is translucent with grease stains and sprinkled with splatters of unidentifiable stuff. This is one of those recipes. I'm not going to claim that it is the most wonderful brownie in the world, but it's the easiest made-from-scratch, tasty, easy-to-turn-out-in-mass-quantity brownie I know of. And, I have a thing about baking from scratch...most of the time. So, here is my recipe for easy, from-scratch, delicious brownies to feed a crowd (or at least a family of six):

Easy From-Scratch Brownies

2 c. sugar
1 3/4 c. flour
5 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. cocoa
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix the first seven ingredients in a bowl, by hand or with a mixer. Pour into a greased and floured 9X13 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Cool, cut, and consume!

3 comments:

Scribbit said...

Oh I could use a good tried-and-true brownie recipe. They're so much easier than cookies.

Red said...

My daughter makes our brownies from scratch, but we ar ehaving a bit of a problem. We do not use store bought flour. We grind our own wheat, so the consistency is a bit off.

the taste is still great, but they crumble so easily. For home that is fine, but if we want to give them away as gifts...well that is a bit different.

Kelli said...

These are defintely tried-and-true, Scribbit! I think you'll love them!

As far as whole wheat flour...I haven't tried making them with whole wheat yet, freshly ground. (I wonder why?!) Okay, so that's on my to do list now, Danette. I'll grind some wheat this weekend and make a batch with whole wheat flour. We can compare notes!