Sunday, May 4, 2008

How to Control Impulse Buying in Children...and Adults

I've taught my children to avoid impulse buying. Unfortunately. Let me explain.

When I *must* take the 3, 5, and/or 7 year old to the store with me to pick up a few items (NEVER for full blown grocery shopping), I have them repeat the shopping list back to me. It goes something like this:

I say, "We are ONLY buying eggs, milk, and bread today. What are we buying?"

They repeat, "EGGS, MILK, and BREAD!"

I ask, "Are we buying gum?"

They shout, "No!"

I ask, "Are we buying candy?"

They gleefully shout even louder, "No!" (Kids love games, you know.)

I ask, "What are we buying?"

They repeat, "EGGS, MILK, and BREAD!"

A few days ago we went to Sam's Club. I informed the three girls about the shopping list items and went through the whole routine. Once inside, I saw that there was a roadshow for Demure make-up. I got a makeover. The kits were a great deal. I put one in my cart. That's when my 5 year old looked at me with sincere disapproval and said, "Mommy, that isn't on the list."

Now I don't have any fancy make up.

And that, my friends, is how you control your impulse buying.

2 comments:

Knit Wit said...

That is funny! At least you don't have to wonder if they are getting what you are trying to teach them.

Kelli said...

That's another way to look at it--the cup is half full!